16 August 2009

Finding and Not Finding


In Bellingham, what I can't find so far:

1) Good Indian food but, particularly, no choices for South Indian cuisine, e.g. dosas and uthappams. I now know that I can find tremendous Indian food in Vancouver and suburbs. That's not so far for me, so voila if I'm willing to drive on a weekend or evening across an international border, which is now all beautiful because the Winter Olympics are coming.

2) Good pepper jelly. Okay, maybe it's a Southern thing, but it's a good thing. I can get two brands here, one of them Tabasco brand, and both of them lousy. It just ain't Atlanta on this score.

3) Restaurants serving grits. A no-brainer that it wouldn't be here, but maybe just one place. Grits have made it to other regions besides the south. I can't even find nouvelle grits which is having it's own popularity nationally, but not here. I make my own!




4) Dim Sum. Don't get me wrong, there's terrific dim sum in Richmond and Vancouver, oh so yummy. But not much in the way of dim sum with carts, which brings the fun of selecting things you don't know because you are looking at them. Thank goodness it's a fun Sunday thing, because here it's a travel thing.

I'll add to the finding and not finding list as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment