07 November 2010

Off of Daylight Savings Time and a Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup

So last night we gained the hour, and this morning it was light earlier.  I'm glad I went to bed early and got up with the start of daylight.  At 5pm tonight it was dark, and by 6pm absolutely "pitch black". Soup for a Sunday:

  • 1 cup celery, sliced
  • 1 cup carrots, sliced
  • 1 cup onion, sliced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I used crimini)
  • 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1-2 TBS rosemary (1 sprig fresh)
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 TBS parsley flakes
  • 1-2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
  • 1 cup barley
  • 2   32 oz. cartons chicken broth (or I used 1 carton chicken broth, 1 carton mushroom broth)
  • salt and pepper to taste (I also threw in some whole peppercorns. Remove them and bay leaf before serving.)
  • OPTIONAL: grated cheese sprinkled on top bowl when serving, or TBS of sherry in bottom of bowl before spooning in soup
I put it all in a crock pot and cooked on high for about 4 hours (or until carrot and barley are done). So good.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds delicious -- and perfect for these days when the "pitch black" of short days is happening and it's cold outside. I've promised myself I will try this soup out this winter.

    ReplyDelete